Letters to powerful people...
I was so angry this morning after hearing that 50 children have been killed by Israeli air strikes in Lebanon, and got it in my mind to write letters to our high-ranking officials to get them to stop. As soon as I got to work I composed emails to Kofi Annan, John Bolton, President Bush and Dick Cheney. I felt so inspired but my hopes were dashed all to quickly when I almost immediately received the following reply:
On behalf of President Bush, thank you for your correspondence.
We appreciate hearing your views and welcome your suggestions.
Due to the large volume of e-mail received, the White House is
unable to respond to every message, and therefore this response
is an autoreply.
Thank you again for taking the time to write.
What was to be expected.. I don't know what to do. But perhaps if everybody keeps writing letters, they will get the point? Here are the addresses:
Bush--comments@whitehouse.gov
Cheney--vice_president@whitehouse.gov
Annan--sg@un.org
Bolton--usa@un.int
I got a reply all of a sudden from the Bolton address, but it seems rather vague:
Thank you for your message to Ambassador Bolton concerning the situation in the Middle East. The goal of the international community has been to see the central authority of the Lebanese Government extended throughout the country as prescribed in Security Council Resolution 1559. We are working through the UN to achieve that goal, and Ambassador Bolton continues to emphasize that the objective is to strengthen the Government of Lebanon and disarm the militias. We agree with the G8 world leaders that the most urgent priority is to create conditions that will be sustainable and lay the foundation for a more permanent solution.
On behalf of President Bush, thank you for your correspondence.
We appreciate hearing your views and welcome your suggestions.
Due to the large volume of e-mail received, the White House is
unable to respond to every message, and therefore this response
is an autoreply.
Thank you again for taking the time to write.
What was to be expected.. I don't know what to do. But perhaps if everybody keeps writing letters, they will get the point? Here are the addresses:
Bush--comments@whitehouse.gov
Cheney--vice_president@whitehouse.gov
Annan--sg@un.org
Bolton--usa@un.int
I got a reply all of a sudden from the Bolton address, but it seems rather vague:
Thank you for your message to Ambassador Bolton concerning the situation in the Middle East. The goal of the international community has been to see the central authority of the Lebanese Government extended throughout the country as prescribed in Security Council Resolution 1559. We are working through the UN to achieve that goal, and Ambassador Bolton continues to emphasize that the objective is to strengthen the Government of Lebanon and disarm the militias. We agree with the G8 world leaders that the most urgent priority is to create conditions that will be sustainable and lay the foundation for a more permanent solution.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home