Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Special stories and times

The weekend was memorable. On Saturday pastor G invited me and some other people over for lunch, which turned out to be a most wonderful afternoon and evening. We drove to their house up in the mountains on bumpy roads in a van that was not in the best shape. Once there, I got a detailed tour of the house, including bedrooms and family albums, books, drawings—I enjoyed it very much as I am such a curious person.

G has the most interesting life story. He studied international economics at the University of Kiev, Ukraine. Then he began working as a diplomat, for two years representing Georgia in the permanent mission to the UN in Geneva. Sounds magical, huh.. He was converted to SDA at the age of 24 and began feeling more and more strongly about being a minister. His parents and church members in general supported his diplomatic work and thought he should remain with that. He was so convinced, however, and began pastoring as well as pastoral studies at Zaosky in Moscow, Russia. He got married, had kids, and is now the head of the Georgian conference (I think). His children are 3 and 5 and some of the most adorable I have ever seen.

After the tour of the house, we had dinner down in the basement. Thea was there as well, and a girl who took nutrition classes from Auntie Ella this summer in Russia. We ate a fabulous meal—cabbage rolls, eggplant dish with tomatoes and onions, yoghurt, cucumber and tomato salad, fruit (peaches, watermelon), crackers for dessert—it was excellent. While eating, they were very excited to put on a movie and so we watched Chronicles of Narnia while eating. It is one of their favorite movies. G says it is so symbollic and he loves these symbollic films.


Thea and I took the Marshutka back to town, I went home and changed, and then made my way to a restaurant to meet some Kennedy School students that happened to be in town. Three of them (some of the KSG second year “stars”) are travelling the world for Alumni Relations, filming alumni who are doing fascinating things, including the Georgian foreign minister (??), then they go on to Serbia, Vietnam and India to interview more alumni. They are very friendly (Steve, Eleni and another guy). Marissa who is working in Tbilisi this summer, from my class, was the one who invited me. She is working with John Snow Inc. on reproductive health issues, perinatal care etc and has already been here for a month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home